AJW Motorcycles :: Models

1928 Single

AJW 1928 Single

This machine is an experimental AJW, designed to test out whether the firm could manufacture a new machine using a single cylinder engine. Its frame probably comes from a Coventry company, Packman & Poppe and is matched to a Druid front fork, which AJW were using on their V-twin machines at the time.

This motorcycle was discovered in Exeter in the early 1970s. It was dismantled and incomplete, but its distinctive petrol tank – to John Wheaton’s design and hand soldered by a local Exeter tinsmith – marked it out as an AJW.

It is fitted with a powerful 500cc overhead valve engine made by Blackburne of Great Bookham, Surrey, and the transmission is handled by a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hand-change gearbox.

Also shown is another AJW petrol tank – hand soldered in tinplate and designed to fit one of Wheaton’s powerful V-twin models. The two filler caps show the tank was designed to carry both petrol and engine oil in separate compartments.

Blue AJW Petrol Tank

Models