This was the first of AJW’s single cylinder models, using a 500c Python twin exhaust port engine and a 4-speed gearbox from the same Coventry firm, Rudge Whitworth.
John Wheaton designed a new frame to accommodate these powerful single cylinder engines, with six tubes radiating from the steering head. An enclosed section above the gearbox houses the oil tank, along with toolboxes on either side.
In 1930 Rudge dominated the Isle of Man TT races with engines using their now familiar 4-valve cylinder heads. The following year, Rudge marketed these power units under the Python trade name. They were snapped up by AJW, along with other smaller manufacturers such as Grindlay-Peerless, Cotton and HRD.
The engine is fitted with an unusual Druid magneto – the same Birmingham firm who made the front fork
Roy Wheaton discovered this machine in Holland in 2005. It was completely dismantled and was missing its petrol tank with the distinctive AJW rain gutter on its upper face, to direct water away from the rider’s thighs. Restoration took just 18 months – it being Roy’s sixth AJW project, he was now extremely familiar with the Exeter firm’s specifications.