By 1933, John Wheaton had simplified the frames on his machines. There were fewer tubes and the oil tank was now a separate component sited below the saddle. Leather fronted toolboxes were employed – a typical feature of this period.
The unusual handlebar levers were made by Amal, the Birmingham carburettor firm, and were called ‘grouped controls’. All are fitted together on each side of the handlebar using a single clamp, controlling a number of operations including ignition advance, brakes and the carburettor’s air mixture.
Unusually, Wheaton opted for a fixed jet car-type carburettor, made by the Bowden company from Willesden, London – who were better known as the inventor of wire sheathed control cables.
AHK 173 was built in Exeter in July 1933 and Roy spotted it for sale in the UK, badged incorrectly, as a Rudge. This machine was Roy’s first AJW restoration and took three years – a long time by his usual prolific standards. Most of this time was spent researching the correct specification for AJWs of this period.
MSJ 879 came from Holland with the 1932 Flying Fox. Again it was completely dismantled, but was a relatively easy restoration because the other 1933 model was restored by then and could act as a guide.